Daily Coop News . . .

Monday, November 2, 2009

A New Olympic Sport or Not . . .


It all started with Murray going thru three nut crackers, yes, actually breaking them in half, trying to open the elusive first fruit. I actually think I know why shelling Black walnuts is not an Olympic sport, but after spending two more hours removing their shoe staining outer fruit, I think it should be considered. Although I have never had such a great color on my crocs, and from experience when training for this event, wear your winter croc, starting with no holes and the darkest color you own. After dumping the lot on the concrete floor of the old bunk house, I began rolling the fruit under foot until the wet, walnut stained inner nut was exposed, with gloved hands you then place them, back into their basket home for drying. When I originally picked up the fruit from under the very large old tree at the top of the meadow in the mountains of North Carolina, on a beautifully cool afternoon in October, I could already taste the persimmon bread with walnuts I was going to bake, day dreaming will get me in trouble every time. I am a step closer, however, don't sniff the screen just yet. My walnuts, still in their inner super nut shell are drying in the hot Florida sun as I write. A very wise old school Aunt asked me just this weekend, with her nose a little wrinkled, did you let them dry? Noooo I didn't, so informed with my new information, there they sit in all their nutty glory. I am thinking persimmon bread would be wonderful on Thanksgiving Morning, with a hot cup of coffee, starring at the murky water of the inter coastal in St. Augustine. I guess their are not too many Olympic sports needing so much time waiting in the sun on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment