Daily Coop News . . .

Monday, August 12, 2013

As I began this day . . .

As I began this day, with the morning just breaking, the dark and muggy night was lifting, the call came and I began again . . . 

I began recalling our last day together in her garden, the asparagus beans, blackberries and the grapes on the umbrella forms.  The giggles over her lemon grass and the promise I would send her some back . . . We talked about the arbor and the plans for the plantings, we laughed about the people who think we are crazy for salvaging bath tubs for the yard, bromeliads, and all those peppers.

I sat peacefully in my own garden this morning quietly engulfed in my happy place.  Debbie's lemon grass highlighted in the morning sun, now just barely over the palms, Colonel Beaureguard still crowing under the Oaks, the simple things in life, made her smile.  

St. Francis smiles over this corner of the garden, Debbie would have enjoyed this moment too, for it's the common thread that bound our friendship.  We both loved the simple life our gardens implied, just the thought of a quiet moment of awe that comes when you pop that first blackberry in your mouth, or spot the first bloom on the peppers, the love of worms in the compost, and the prayer for absence in the tomato's.

She loved the simple life that my chickens invoked, I can no longer remember how many times over the years I encouraged her to get her own, of course without the Colonel, she would just laugh, neither one of us ever thought Parsnip would approve . . . 

I am at peace knowing you now walk the gardens of heaven, rest peacefully my friend and know you are loved. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment